Skip to main content

tv   Piers Morgan Tonight  CNN  April 9, 2012 9:00pm-10:00pm PDT

9:00 pm
♪ >> farmer's insurance donates $1,000 for charity for every tonight george zimmerman breaks his silence. what's he's saying about the trayvon martin shooting. and what will happen next. and lewis black is back. here's what he said about the republican race the last time he was here. >> i think it's one of the most spectacular races i've ever watched if it was like maybe 1958. >> round two coming up. and what's wrong with this picture? kodak goes out of business or facebook pays $1 billion for instagram.
9:01 pm
and plus the one and only mike wallace. >> people like mike have an indefinable quality. and bubba watson living the american dream. >> it's awesome for a week. then back to real life. haven't changed a diaper yet. might have to change one soon. >> this is "piers morgan tonight." good evening. our big story tonight, the case that's dividing the nation. the trayvon martin shooting. george zimmerman launches a website today to raise funds for his legal defense. meanwhile the prosecutor says she won't use a grand jury. listen to reaction to that today from the martin family's attorney. >> we were anticipating that there would be no grand jury because the family has always been hopeful that there would simply have been an arrest. we believe from day one that
9:02 pm
they had enough evidence to arrest the killer of trayvon martin. and now as the evidence -- >> does that mean an arrest is close at hand? i'll ask some of the top legal experts in a moment. plus a man who loved a good argument on any subject at all. tonight, let's face it, anything could happen. >> don't even make the choice to be gay. i mean, when did i catch on to that? why do they not -- what is their problem with science? to live -- we're the future now. this is the 21st century. it should be science fiction at this point. and all they will deal with is fiction. were they beaten by nerds in chemistry classes? >> lewis black is currently foaming at the mouth in my greenroom ready to burst out here live. we begin with the story of trayvon martin. joining me is roy black and alex dershwitz and jeff ashton author
9:03 pm
of "imperfect justice." today was a significant day. this is not going to go to the grand jury. what does that tell you as a prominent lawyer? >> well, it tells me that the special prosecutor is not going to use a copout. she could have given it to the grand jury and pretend she had no impact on the grand jury. she would have told the grand jury exactly what to do. but she would have had the excuse of deniability. now she's saying this is my responsibility. i am going to make this decision. she is accountable to making this decision. and she should get it right. she shouldn't be influenced by public opinion. she shouldn't be influenced who has the better pr. she should look at forensics, bruises, photographs. >> roy black, ask this good or
9:04 pm
bad news for george zimmerman? if you were representing him, how would you be feeling tonight? >> i think it's bad news for zimmerman. i agree with al 100%. in florida the grand jury is where stories go to die. the fact that she's going to make the decision means she's probably going to charge him. >> jeff ashton, you know a lot about this florida law. stand your grand has been the subject to massive conjecture and examination. under the defense that we've now seen put up by zimmerman from his brother to me on this show through the lawyers acting for zimmerman, you can see the construct of their defense. which is that their client, george zimmerman is walking back away from trayvon martin to his van when he was jumped on. and from that moment he was then defending himself under stand your ground believing his life
9:05 pm
was in danger. if those facts are proved by evidence, will he get off under stand your ground, do you believe? >> well, if the evidence shows that he was acting in self-defense and that his fear was reasonable, then yeah. under the law that would be an absolute defense. under the stand your ground provisions, a judge could actually give him immunity pretrial. at trial it's a slightly different story. at trial the state has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt it wasn't self-defense. >> but from what you've seen so far, is there enough evidence either way? i mean, there's so much argument and counterargument, claim, counterclaim. is there enough evidence we've seen in the public or any form of media to actually make a case either way?
9:06 pm
or is this very likely now to go to a trial where a jury will decide? >> we don't know yet. i think what alan said in the beginning is true. this is going to come down to forensics, to the autopsy report, gun shot residue, bruises. it's going to come down to hard physical evidence. the state has got to disprove mr. zimmerman's claim of self-defense beyond a reasonable doubt in order to succeed at trial. so those hard pieces of evidence are going to be the key. >> can i add to this? >> of course. fire away. >> all you have to do is take the facts out of the police report. they say that george zimmerman's back was wet, it has grass on it from lying on the grass. he has blood on his nose, and he has lacerations on the back of his head. this is fairly corroborative evidence of self-defense. because he says he was jumped on and he was lying on his back and assaulted.
9:07 pm
>> but let me put it to you, roy black. if those signs of evidence were actually caused as a result of george zimmerman starting the altercation -- if for argument's sake he began pushing him around, where does that leave him under stand your ground? >> it is much more difficult if he is the aggressor. however, he's got the grass on his back and his back is wet. which corroborates the fact he's lying on his back on the ground while being hit in the face. >> what we don't know, we don't know whether trayvon martin's back was wet. it may have been. we don't know much about him in his condition, do we? >> you put your finger on it. if it turns out trayvon martin only has -- i hate to say only because it is the deadly wound. if it's only the bullet wound and there are no marks on his head. the stand your ground statute
9:08 pm
may be irrelevant here. he had no place to escape to, he could under any traditional law of self-defense whether it be massachusetts or new york could invoke self-defense as well. florida has a special provision. it says if the person initially provokes the use of force, he doesn't have the right of self-defense unless it then says in good faith the other person withdraws from contact or makes it clear that he's not going to kill. so here's one possible scenario. that is that zimmerman provoked it. then there was a fight. then trayvon martin got on top but then he pulled out his gun and trayvon martin started screaming help and looked like he wanted to get away but he was shot. that would deny zimmerman the right to use self-defense. this is such a fact-specific case. >> it absolutely is. >> you look at the police reports.
9:09 pm
you have to look at the evidence. there are probably photographs taken close range of the bruises on the back of the head. anybody who today speculates as to whether a jury will find the defendant guilty or not guilty is really doing no more than speculation. and there's a big difference between a prosecutor and a jury. a prosecutor could be influenced by politics. a jury will listen to all the forensic evidence that's admissible and a jury may decide something that's inconsistent with what the public wants, what the prosecutor or anybody else wants. >> let me just get into what george zimmerman has said today. he set up this website to raise money for his defense. he says on sunday february 26th, i was involved in a life altering event which led me to become the subject of intense media coverage. as a result of this incident and subsequent media coverage i've been forced to leave my home, school, employer, family and ultimately entire life.
9:10 pm
i mean, he goes on in quite a weird way, i think, when he starts quoting people. he quotes james w. lohan saying people have a right to their own facts. not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight. and then goes on to quote thomas payne. the world is my country. all man kind to do good is my religion. finally a quote from an album. a thousand words will not leave as much an impression as one deed. when you look at all that, i understand why he's doing this. i understand wipe he needs money. i understand why he should be entitled to raise funds. but he's almost behaving like a celebrity now. what was your take on it?
9:11 pm
>> well, you know, he doesn't have photographs or videos of a child to sell like casey anthony did to raise money for her defense. so i understand why he needs to go out and try to raise money this way. it does seem that he is trying to play into the celebrity aspects of this case. you know, he's -- in the anthony case jose baiz did much of this. we won't be hearing the stories change throughout the case like we did with mr. baez. and trying to get them to help him. [ overlapping speakers ] >> very quickly. alan, your reaction? >> i would tell him to keep your mouth shut. everything you say or that as
9:12 pm
attributable to you that your lawyer may say can be used to cross examine you and impeach you. keep your mouth shut at this point. wait until you hear whether there's going to be a prosecution. then present your defense in court. this is not a case to present his defense in the court of public opinion in the way he's now presenting it. it's a big mistake. >> roy black, quickly from you. >> the chances of george zimmerman actually writing that website are probably nil. and the problem with remaining silent until the trial today, it doesn't work. because they have an electronic lynch mob out there trying to crucify this guy. he's got to come back and say something. otherwise it's all over by the time you get to the courtroom. >> let me ask all of you very last -- i want a one word answer out of you three if you can. it's simple. could we, should we, will we expect to have an arrest of george zimmerman within the next, say, seven days. alan first. >> i think probably yes.
9:13 pm
i agree with roy black that i think the decision not to go to the grand jury is a message although she says don't take any implication that there will probably be an indictment. >> that was about 32 words just from my immediate guess. roy, you're allowed one. >> yes, he'll be arrested but a judge will dismiss it under the stand your ground statute. >> 12. we're getting lower. install my faith in a lawyer's ability to reply to the question i put in the form in which i arranged it. yes or no to an arrest within seven days? >> let me be shorter. i know angela corey and there's no knowing what she's going to do from these announcements she's made. she just -- it's not a clue. >> that was actually longer. but anyways. >> sorry. >> what it shows me is there are no simple answers in this case. that's what makes it fascinating and compelling. in the end the facts, i hope, will weigh out. and the family of trayvon martin will get justice.
9:14 pm
and the family of george zimmerman will want justice too. for now, thank you very much indeed. >> thank you. coming up next, the angry and utterly unpredictable lewis black. see what he's ranting about tonight. he looks furious. a route map shows you where we go. but not how we get there. because in this business, there are no straight lines. only the twists and turns of an unpredictable industry. so the eighty-thousand employees at delta... must anticipate the unexpected. and never let the rules overrule common sense. this is how we tame the unwieldiness of air travel, until it's not just lines you see... it's the world.
9:15 pm
according to the signs, ford is having some sort of big tire event. i just want to confirm a w things with fiona. how would you describe the event? it's big. no,i mean in terms of savings how would you sum it up? big in your own words, with respect to selection, what would you say? big okay, let's talk rebates mike, they're big they're big get $100 rebate, plus the low price tire guarantee during the big tire event. so, in other words, we can agree that ford's tire event is a good size? big big
9:16 pm
9:17 pm
lewis black, television's angriest man, certainly one of the most honest. he joins me now. the ever angry, ever honest lewis black. i hear you've been foaming in the greenroom. >> no just coffee. >> when you hear the lawyers talking there, it's complicated this. but there are some basic tenets of the story that are staggering. >> you think when you shoot someone that there has to be some kind of thing that occurs more than just we're taking in, okay that works. there just seems to be a process that's been missing here. it seems to be due to the fact
9:18 pm
that they've got that thing, that civilian watch thing. which is just -- i mean -- you don't -- no. no. you watch. you do. he didn't watch. >> right. neighborhood watch, right? means you watch your neighbors, you don't kill them. that's what it comes down to. >> no. look. he's told not to go. there's just stuff there that -- you know, i don't know what the other circumstances might be, but you're told not to go there. you're told that the police will come in. you're told these things. doesn't there have to be a process that occurs where they at least yell at him. >> it seems to me in america where so many people feel so strongly about justice and the justice system that there are so many people out there -- i get it on twitter after i say this -- who say no justice was served. the guy was sent home for a
9:19 pm
reason. he did nothing wrong. he shot an unarmed teenager as it turned out. something has happened. >> something is wrong there. someone had a gun. someone shot someone. whenever that occurs, at least in most of the states that i've lived in, there is a process that occurs afterwards. the person is generally held for a certain amount of time so that an investigation takes place. you shot somebody. i mean, look. to me it makes no sense. i've never seen anything quite like it. it would seem if there was some real evidence that they had, we would have heard about it immediately. >> isn't it a problem 21 states in america have a form of stand your ground. all the evidence suggests that there are more and more killings now where people are using it as a defense. often they are drug dealers or they're gang members. everyone's using this now as a convenient way to avoid responsibility for shooting people. >> yeah. well, we now have more guns than we do people which is an
9:20 pm
important step forward for the country. because you want more guns. i mean -- in virginia -- >> you've got this big comedic thing. the comic festival in which you're honoring the first monument that honors the bill of rights. as you rightly have said many times, it's basically whatever people want to make those words mean. >> yes. >> if you take the right to bear arms. it doesn't mean the right to have a tank in your back yard, does it? some people would say it does. >> or the nuke thing i heard. i saw on the bill maher show the other night. you know, they want silencers when they're hunting deer. >> said the party conferences at the conventions coming up. apparently in tampa they're banning water cannons. but they won't ban handguns. you can't shoot somebody with water. you want to take a handgun out and blow them with dumb dumb
9:21 pm
bullets, that's fine. >> and you wonder what it's like to be a cop under those circumstances. >> impossible. >> it's just become -- look. no one is -- no one is -- you know, no one is saying you can't have guns in order to be able to hunt and do what you want in terms of that. or if you want it in your house to protect yourself. but there also seems to be that thing where -- you know, that there ought to be that responsibility in the law that if someone's got guns in their house and a youngster picks up one of those guns and gets out of the house with it, that adult is responsible for that youngster's action. as much as the youngster is. >> i agree with you. what can america do with the fact there are up to now 300 million guns out there in america now? what can it realistically do? >> have a bigger lottery. like a billion dollar lottery and you can only get a ticket by handing in a gun.
9:22 pm
>> that's actually a genius idea. >> they will be doing it. i can guarantee it. >> so incentive it. >> there has to be. it's one of those things that i don't -- look. for me, my -- when i was a kid, i had -- i was out in the woods with friends. i was a kid. i was 18 and i had a bb gun and i shot at a bird. a robin in a tree and it hit the robin in the chest and bounced off. the robin looked at me like i was a jackass. and i never picked up a gun since. >> what do you think of the gop? it looks now mitt romney is going to get it. even newt gingrich is flying the white flag. pretty much the end of the road when newt gives up. >> he's got no money. >> romney, can he beat obama?
9:23 pm
>> who knows? we've got all of that stuff between now and then and the economy. i mean, i think the -- you know, for me i was -- he's in the middle. so romney's as good depending where he wants the middle to be. >> he's just threatening some of the others. he's less threatening than a santorum, isn't he? to most americans. >> to most americans he is -- he's the kind of republican candidate. the one that generally you're used to. >> are americans angry enough to kick obama out? that's what normally needs to happen. they need to be angry enough with the incumbent that they'll vote him out of office. >> i don't think they're angry enough because i think they're exhausted. i think most americans are so tired. if the rhetoric hasn't exhausted them, the fact they've had to wander looking for jobs, there are two in a family in order to do this. the fact they can't afford their mortgages and the banks aren't
9:24 pm
making it any easier. it's tough enough to deal with verizon and at&t and who knows how much you're paying for gigabyte. every day is overwhelming. so to -- >> very quickly, what is the single thing that's made you the most furious since i last saw you? >> the single thing is that -- the thing i saw today that we're not training -- >> don't answer. we'll come back after the break. great tease. you're about to blow about something but no one has any idea what. [ kate ] most women may not be properly absorbing the calcium they take because they don't take it with food. switch to citracal maximum plus d. it's the only calcium supplement that can be taken with or without food. that's why my doctor recommends citracal maximum. it's all about absorption.
9:25 pm
departure. hertz gold plus rewards also offers ereturn-- our fastest way to return your car. just note your mileage and zap ! you're outta there ! we'll e-mail your receipt in a flash, too. it's just another way you'll be traveling at the speed of hertz. agents, when it comes to insurance, people feel lost. that's a dead end. don't know which way to turn. this way. turn around. [ woman ] that's why we present people with options to help them find coverage that fits their needs. almost there. whoo! yay! good work. that's a new maze record. really? i have no idea. we don't keep track of that kind of stuff. well, you should. [ male announcer ] we are insurance. ♪ we are farmers ♪ bum, ba-da-bum, bum, bum, bum ♪
9:26 pm
[ male announcer ] you plant. you mow. you grow. you dream. meet the new definition of durability: the john deere select series. with endless possibilities, what will you create? ♪ learn more about the new select series x310 with power steering at johndeere.com/x310.
9:27 pm
9:28 pm
you me -- me now. the last thing you are furious about since i last saw you. >> in the article there will be something about our country and what it's not going at a time it should be doing it. at this time in which we're in a major jobs crisis and people are desperately looking for work, the amount of money that is going into training people for jobs is -- has been cut and is -- >> i saw that. it's absolutely ridiculous. how can that be happening? >> i don't know how. i don't know how at a point in
9:29 pm
time -- and it's so weird. because also that thing, i'm reading it. it's like alied needs a hundred new drivers. no small potatoes kind of a job. get trained, it takes $4,000. so usually that went to the federal government would help in the job training and get them into the workforce. but you would think in terms of the way they talk about business all the time, that wouldn't business be training some of these people? and at least allied is stepping to the plate. but still. you know, i think it all goes back to education in this country which is -- you know, you've got schools sitting. you've got all of these places. you've got rooms to teach people in. you know, put a few bucks into it. you don't need to build another building to have a federal job training center. you've got -- you know, the bozo high school down the block that isn't being used at certain times. use it.
9:30 pm
and put the money -- i mean, we've not dealt with the crisis at all really. both sides kind of go talk about it and give lip service. the federal government should be -- but either side doesn't -- they don't give specific plans to move it along. it's a combination of both. >> i think you should be in the administration, lewis. >> no? >> just to foam at them. how can this be happening? how can you not do more in training? >> then there are two groups. one is the progressive staff. they've got names, just call it, you know, jobs for folks. that's all you need. you don't need some six -- i work for the federal government for a year. where they run into trouble is because the titles for everything are way too long.
9:31 pm
and people get lost by the middle. most people have so much a.d.d., once they get through the title of the place they forgot why they're reading the sentence in the first place. >> let's turn to your other thing. tim tebow. what's he done to you? >> nothing. >> sportsman advocaing peace to the world. >> great role model. don't bring him to new york. we've got a lot of role models here. in any other city in the world, it was already every day and i live in new york. now it's going to be cranked up. it's going to be insanity. really too much. >> but jeremy lin's injured, so they won't be on at the same time. >> they won't be. but boy, it will be more than i can bear. more than anybody can bear. it's too much. literally it's like -- it's just mad -- we will be living at the edge of madness. you know?
9:32 pm
we will. i mean, you know, the paper in new york especially the new york post which i purchase only because it's got the courage to print its own news. they treat every moment in sports as if that is the pivotal thing that is ever going to happen. >> isn't that the nature of sports. when bubba watson won the masters. golf isn't my number one sport but at the moment i felt it was the greatest thing. in that moment. a guy named bubba could come and win the masters playing outrageous shots. it was all just crazy. and yet supposed to be visceral. >> and by the time you finish dinner, it's gone. with tebow you'll finish dinner and then turn on the tv and he'll be there again. because i live in new york and they won't get enough. >> so you won't be doing the tebow.
9:33 pm
>> as a jew, it is very difficult for me. and it drives -- the thing that people -- >> what is the jewish version of the tebow? >> the jewish version is either -- bringing something up or, you know, a belch. one or the other. or basically things aren't going to work out today. >> do you feel america is slowly getting out of the doldrums? despite the negative stuff that pops up, do you have a sense it's beginning? the engine's beginning to run again? >> i have a somewhat sense of that. what they miss, i think, at least i've seen in my travels going to these places over and over again, pockets of the country that -- with the down economy, what occurs at times is
9:34 pm
people can who afford to leave one place where they can't afford anymore and go to another place where they can afford it because the economy dipped so badly in certain areas that in essence it gives opportunity. i think that has occurred in a number of places. and i think that's the key to -- in a lot of ways, that's part of the -- the seed that will take root. >> you got so angry tonight you shook your microphone off. >> did i really? >> i've never seen that. it actually blew off you. >> one time i actually leapt up, one of these things i get so angry and the whole thing came out of the back. >> fortunate your voice is so loud, it didn't make such difference. >> and nobody stopped me. >> we don't dare stop you. come back soon. >> i will. >> great to see you. lewis black. up next, the company mark zuckerberg bought for a billion dollars. a company that hasn't actually made a dime.
9:35 pm
s believe they shoue in charge of their own future. how they'll live tomorrow. for more than 116 years, ameriprise financial has worked for their clients' futures. helping millions of americans retire on their terms. when they want. where they want. doing what they want. ameriprise. the strength of a leader in retirement planning. the heart of 10,000 advisors working with you one-to-one. together for your future. ♪
9:36 pm
9:37 pm
9:38 pm
facebook acquires instagram. probably going to push 30 next year. just have this funny feeling that zuck is going to bring it in-house. facebook buys instagram. >> that's gary vernicheck predicting the purchase. gary joins me now along with ken. he's the author of "google: the end of the world as we know it." that was an amazing prediction. >> not too shabby.
9:39 pm
>> let's start from this. assume a lot of people watching this have no idea what instagram really is or why it's special. tell me. >> it's a simple photo app. just came to android. the big hook they had was they added filters to the photo world. photos are massive. facebook has a lot to do with photos. that's why this all happened. it's a simple app. take a photo. it makes your photos better. they make them better. any application that makes your life better is a big win. >> i knew it was taking off because i've noticed just generally on twitter and whatever for the last two or three weeks, more and more pictures. i've just noticed with instagram. i thought what is this thing? so it doesn't surprise me it's suddenly hot. i could feel it coming my way through social media more. >> if you take it back to web 2.0, fliker started it all.
9:40 pm
then if you look at pinterest. photo, photo, photo. facebook's volume has a lot to do with photos. people at home are like a billion dollars for a site around for 500 days that makes no money? fine look at it that way or facebook takes a market cap and look at what has gone to 50 million users. and they take out the only competitor that actually has a shot of hurting them. >> so has zuckerberg done this because he sees this as a tool for facebook or to crush an opponent? >> i think much more number two than number one. if you look at twitter today, they said don't ruin instagram. they're not going to ruin it. this is like when google bought youtube. everybody snickered at the play. >> ken, you wrote the book about google. are we getting a slight sense of another dot-com boom here?
9:41 pm
>> boom or bubble. >> could it be a boom to a bubble burst? >> we saw that in 2000. and when you look at a company bought for a billion dollars that has no revenue, that's a free service. you have to step back and say whoa, wait a second. what's that about? i understand it's a defensive move. may be a brilliant move for all i know. it's a lot of money. >> for the traditionalist, kodak has gone bust. now you see a company that makes no money, a digital version of kodak going for a billion dollars. >> but i take it one of the things -- their claim to fame is that photographers who think they're good can massage and -- >> or that are bad make it better. >> right. as opposed to fliker which doesn't have that. >> let's look at this as a business thing.
9:42 pm
this is a very massive play by facebook. and people literally laughed at google buying youtube. and youtube was losing a boat load of crash. and instagram is not. mobile is the key. >> that's the key, isn't it? facebook is behind on mobile. where instagram has been around it. >> facebook is a social company. not a mobile company. >> i look at instagram pictures on my blackberry and they're great. on facebook it's not good on my mobile. final word on this since you're so clever about this. what's the next big sale going to be? >> i think path has a huge version. >> what was it presumed to be worth yesterday and what will it be worth? >> around 250 million valuation. google plus is not doing
9:43 pm
anything that crazy. it wouldn't stun me if that went for half a billion or billion. >> let's move on to mike wallace. >> i thought you were going to say we were in the wrong business. >> i think we are. tell me about mike and his legacy. obviously fantastically brilliant journalist for cbs so long. "60 minutes." i remember watching him. what do you think his legacy will be? >> i think if you look at investigative roers on television, he was the pioneer in that. but no one did the kind of investigative reporting. sticking a microphone in someone's face. not only did he stick a microphone in someone's face, he did it in a way that was extraordinary. he did what good interviewers do. he let the silence work for them. he would sit opposite and touch his heart and say you know, i mean no disrespect and this is
9:44 pm
not me saying it but what do you say to people who say you're a lunatic? then he would wait. he was charming. he then would wait for the person to answer. and if they didn't answer, he wouldn't fill the void with his own sound. he would wait. and the interview subject would get nervous and would fill the void with their gibber. >> one of the great interviewers of all time, still is, he said to me the value of silence can never be overstated. because people always want to fill the gap. if i had stopped here and sat back, one of you would start panicking. you never stop talking. but it is silence is a weapon. i think mike wallace used that almost better than anybody i've seen. he would lay the trap. he'd never be overly bearing. >> one of the reasons they
9:45 pm
filled the void when he sat back, they knew he had done his homework. and they were afraid. i would watch people in the white house press corps, tv people shout questions at a president. oftentimes they didn't have anything. do you mean to tell the public the following -- and they didn't know what they were talking about. mike wallace knew what he was talking about. >> saying he wished he could be as good as mike wallace. i think everybody in the industry believes that. >> also i was -- we were judges together in the national journalism awards and i was very wary of it. mike did as much homework. >> he will be deeply missed. thank you both very much. ken, gary. thank you. up next, unique ideas about how to solve this country's economic woes. c'mon dad!
9:46 pm
i'm here to unleash my inner cowboy. instead i got heartburn. [ horse neighs ] hold up partner. prilosec isn't for fast relief. try alka-seltzer. it kills heartburn fast. yeehaw!
9:47 pm
it kills heartburn fast.
9:48 pm
the utterly shocking sensation of being on a business trip where everything goes right. backed up by a 100% satisfaction guarantee. feel the advantage. feel the hamptonality. the sleep number bed. the magic of this bed is that you're sleeping on something that conforms to your individual shape. wow! that feels really good. you can adjust it to whatever your needs are. so whatever you feel like, the sleep number bed's going to provide it for you. now, sleep number redefines memory foam, combining coolfit gel foam with sleep number adjustability! during our white sale, receive $400 in free bedding. only at the sleep number store, where queen mattresses start at just $699. [ roger ] tell me you have good insurance. yup, i've got... [ kyle with voice of dennis ] ...allstate. really? i was afraid you'd have some cut-rate policy. [ kyle ] nope, i've got... [ kyle with voice of dennis ] ...the allstate value plan. it's their most affordable car insurance -- and you still get an allstate agent.
9:49 pm
i too have...[ roger with voice of dennis ]...allstate. [ roger ] same agent and everything. [ kyle ] it's like we're connected. no we're not. yeah, we are. no...we're not. ♪ the allstate value plan. dollar for dollar, nobody protects you like allstate. i've said many times before, the president did not cause the economic crisis. but he did make it worse. he delayed the recovery, and he made it anemic. >> the economy is growing stronger. the recovery is speeding up. and we've got to do everything
9:50 pm
in our power to keep it going. >> president obama and mitt romney with two different views in the state of this country's economy. joining me now is a man who says politics is the problem. here to talk about one my favorite subjects, keeping america great is author of the new book, "white house burning." how are you? >> i'm good, how are you? >> i love the title of this book. it refers to the war of 1812, when they cut taxes, got rid of the central bank, they were beaten by the british, and the brits trashed washington. it sounds like a perfect recipe for today. >> unfortunately it's a metaphor that's just too apt. when england broke down the ulz treasury, the only good news for the americans was there was nothing in the treasury. the country was ruined by unmanaged fiscal policy. >> i called it mitt, i was
9:51 pm
talking it romney. tell me abouted reality about the current state of the economy, particularly in america. someone said to me over the weekend, a very prominent british politician. many american businessmen don't seem to get it, nor do the politicians that the world is moving on very fast outside of america, and america is no longer the only game in town for countries like brazil, for example. >> it clearly, there's been a rise, a shift over the past few decades, brazil, china india, russia, indonesia. these are all much more serious xi familiaric economies than in the past. the u.s. dollar is the number one currency. investors around the world like to hold u.s. government
9:52 pm
securities, and that's one big reason why interest rates are so low for the government and for private people for mortgages or other purposes. we have low interest rates, investors are willing to lend to the united states. now, that's not going to last forever, particularly such as countries as brazil. we have a temporary advantage and we should take this opportunity to fix things like our budget before we find the world a more hostile place. >> what would the founding fathers have made of america being $15.6 trillion in debt? >> well, the founding fathers, first of all would have been stunned to see the u.s. as the number one world economic and political power. that wasn't really what they had in mind and that's not the point of the system. but the system has taken on global responsibilities and paid
9:53 pm
for them with very little debt increase after world war ii. unfortunately, more recently we shift add way in the idea that the government is trying to sell a lot of debt around the world. as long as the chinese are willing to buy that debt, can you get away with it, that's true. but to the extent that others are less willing to buy that debts we have the $10.8 trillion in debt out there. someone has to buy it. if no one buys it, the interest rates are going to go up. >> romney or obama, who has -- you have to keep this quite brief, the best solution, if it's those two to the economic woes america is facing? >> i have problems with both. of the two, i would take obama at this point. the key weakness obama has, he's
9:54 pm
not talking about the revenue. 40% of people who use social, you get a pension. or use medicare to pay for the welfare costs. those are not just the quintessential government programs, you have to explain to people why the government provides these services. these are very important. elderly americans would not survive well. you see a lot more poverty. you have to have the tax revenue to put thoses ises on a sustainable basis. >> i think there's a weird sort of thing that you cannot raise any taxes ever again in this country. the fascinating white house burning on national debt, why it matters to you coming up. masters winner bubba watson. [ male announcer ] you are a business pro. omnipotent of opportunity.
9:55 pm
you know how to mix business... with business. and you...rent from national. because only national lets you choose any car in the aisle. and go. you can even take a full-size or above. and still pay the mid-size price. i could get used to this. [ male announcer ] yes, you could business pro. yes, you could. go national. go like a pro.
9:56 pm
when it comes to home insurance, surprises can be a little scary. and a little costly. that's why the best agents present their clients with a lot of options. because when it comes to what's covered and what's not, nobody likes surprises. [ click ] [ chuckles ] we totally thought -- [ all scream ] obscure space junk falling from the sky? we cover that. moving on. aah, aah, aah, aah. [ male announcer ] we are insurance. ♪ we are farmers ♪ bum, ba-da-bum, bum, bum, bum ♪
9:57 pm
the largest class size in the nation. 47th out of 50 in per-student funding. but right now, we can make history with a ballot measure to send every k-through-12 dollar straight to our schools. to every school and every child. not to sacramento. it's the only initiative that can say all that. check out our online calculator and find out how your school would benefit. visit ourchildrenourfuture2012.com today.
9:58 pm
tonight's only in america, what else could i possibly end with than the aston oibing story of a man called bubba. no one captures the american dream more than bubba watson. he began this year with three dreams, to adopt a child, buy the general lee car from "the dukes of hazards." he did buy the car when it came up for auction.
9:59 pm
in february, he and his wife were approved for adoption of their little boy. and he won the masters without ever having a single golf lesson in his life or watching himself on video. >> he said you're a good golfer, you're here for a reason, can you do this, you hit all these shots before, you have to do it at this moment. >> and do it he did. i've never had a dream go this far. i can't really say it's a dream come true. the truth is, he had dreamed of golf's greatest tournament. just as he had dreamed of owning general lee and having a child. bubba watson a devout christian achieved all three of his dreams in less than four months. no wonder those tears flowed on that final green, as he hugged his mother, and everyone else
left
right